(Real World Fiction) Trinidad and Tobago

RWF...


web widgets

Saturday 26 September 2015

Bill Gates Generation X

Bill Gates' children had their screen time restricted to encourage creativity. Photo: Daniel Acker


I’m an epic fail as a parent: my children are digitally illiterate 

  

by Jemima Lewis



When the end times come, and the robots enslave us all, what use will it be to know how to boil an egg?


Many years ago, I read an article about the plight of elderly widowers who, without a wife to cook for them, slowly starved to death. Having been fed by capable women all their lives, they had never learnt such basic survival skills as how to boil an egg or peel the cellophane off a ready meal.


That article still haunts me because I, too, could not survive on my own. If my husband died, I would lose not only the love of my life, but also my internet connection. I could feed myself all right, but who would run my software updates? Who would check the server configuration, or rummage in my operating system to fix a bug? And – assuming that by then we'll all be surrounded by the Internet of Things – who will re-program my smart-fridge if it tries to make me drink semi-skimmed milk, or teach my washing machine never to mix the whites with the coloureds?

The obvious answer should be: my children. According to a new survey, about half of First World parents now pay their children to do "digital chores". Traditional household jobs, such as mowing the lawn or doing the washing-up, have been replaced by high-tech tasks such as setting up a new mobile phone, downloading photographs or recording TV shows. Parents are willing to pay as much as $50 a go for such valuable work, and a third of children earn extra cash by helping their grandparents with bewildering technology.

No comments: